Upper School & IB Spanish Instructor
Status: Full time/Exempt
Supervisor: Interim Middle School and Upper School Director
Location: In-person instruction at the Brier Creek Campus
Work Schedule: Teacher work day plus evenings and other times needed to accommodate parent meetings, workshops, testing and other responsibilities.
The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks an Upper School Spanish Instructor for the 2021/2022 school year beginning August 1, 2021. Under the general direction of the Head of the Middle & Upper School, the Upper School & IB Spanish Instructor will work with students, faculty, staff, and parents to develop a comprehensive and rigorous Spanish curriculum.
The Montessori School of Raleigh offers the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and seeks a teacher who will develop students adept at reading, writing, speaking, and listening in the Spanish language. The position will teach three sections of IB Spanish, one section of US Spanish II, and one section of US Spanish III/IV. The is a one-year position teaching in the place of a faculty member taking leave. A candidate successfully completing this teaching assignment will be considered for available job openings at the position's conclusion.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Spanish or related educational field; must possess or have the ability to obtain North Carolina State Certification
- Prior experience in developing comprehensive Spanish curricula
- Willingness to undertake International Baccalaureate training
- Knowledge of adolescent development, learning differences, resources, and current trends in education
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based on student learning needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to excel in a team environment
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and diverse learning community
- Student-centered, collegial, passionate, innovative
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop a multifaceted Spanish curriculum utilizing experiential learning and constructivist philosophies
- Develop a variety of performance and written assessments to evaluate student learning and growth. throughout the academic program. Provide students with the necessary feedback, critical evaluation, encouragement, and support.
- Prepare students for all the components of the IB diploma program Spanish course
- Develop interactive lessons that develop students' abilities in Spanish speaking, listening, reading, and writing
- Lead students to gain a richer understanding of themselves, their community, and the world
- Prepare students for crucial IB examinations, written essays, and formal oral presentation which will be externally assessed.
- Develop events and projects outside the classrooms, such as local field experiences and trips
- Work collaboratively and integrate lessons with other faculty
- Attend meetings for all faculty and staff
- Participate in and supervise spring and fall trips, if applicable
- Coordinate and mentor students through the school advisory program
- Participate in student supervision, evening school events, occupations/clubs, intersessions, and after-school tutorials
- Attend meetings with other teaching staff, undertake professional development training, and meet with pupils' parents to discuss their progress at parents' evenings.
- Conduct professional development and parent programs as requested
- Keep up-to-date on new teaching methods and developments
- An enthusiastic commitment to school life and to the unique mission of MSR
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation.