Middle School and Upper School Math and Science Instructor
Status: Full time/Exempt
Supervisor: Interim Middle School and Upper School Director
Location: In-person instruction at the Brier Creek Campus
Work Schedule: Teacher work day plus evenings and other times needed to accommodate parent meetings, workshops, testing and other responsibilities.
The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks a Middle and Upper School Science & Math Instructor for the 2021/2022 school year beginning August 16, 2021. Under the general direction of the Interim Middle and Upper School Director, the Middle and Upper School Science & Math Instructor will work with students, faculty, staff, and parents to develop a comprehensive and rigorous Science curriculum that encompasses grades 7,8 & 9. The ideal candidate will create and teach curricula that develop students who are “agile thinkers, poised communicators, and gracious collaborators—engineers of authentic and fulfilling lives.”
The position will teach three sections of Middle School Life Science, one section of 9th year Physics and a Middle School Math class to be determined.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc.) or a related educational field; must possess or have the ability to obtain North Carolina State Certification
- Prior experience in developing comprehensive Science curricula
- Ability to teach Middle School Math utilizing the School's curriculum
- Knowledge of adolescent development, learning differences, resources, and current trends in education
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based on student learning needs
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to excel in a team environment
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and diverse learning community
- Student-centered, collegial, passionate, innovative
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop a multifaceted and cross-curricular Science curriculum utilizing experiential learning and constructivist philosophies
- Work in collaboration with Math teachers to ensure vertical alignment of Math curriculum
- Develop a variety of performance and written assessments to evaluate student learning and growth throughout the academic program
- Provide students with the necessary feedback, critical evaluation, encouragement, and support
- Develop interactive lessons that develop students' abilities in Science research, exploration, data analysis, etc.
- Lead students to gain a richer understanding of themselves, their community, and the world
- Develop events and projects outside the classrooms, such as local field experiences and trips
- Work collaboratively and integrate lessons with other faculty
- Attend meetings for all faculty and staff
- Participate in and supervise spring and fall trips, if applicable
- Coordinate and mentor students through the school advisory program
- Participate in student supervision, evening school events, occupations/clubs, intersessions, and after-school tutorials
- Attend meetings with other teaching staff, undertake professional development training, and meet with pupils' parents to discuss their progress at parents' evenings.
- Conduct professional development and parent programs as requested
- Keep up-to-date on new teaching methods and developments
- An enthusiastic commitment to school life and to the unique mission of MSR
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation.
Please send a cover letter and resume with "Math/Science Instructor, your name" to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.