Lower Elementary Lead Teacher
Supervisor: Director of Lower School
Location: In-person instruction at the Lead Mine Campus
The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks a Lower Elementary Lead Teacher for the 2022/2023 school year. Under the general direction of the Director of Lower School, the ideal candidate will lead a Lower Elementary classroom and will oversee students 6-9 years of age. The Lower Elementary Lead Teacher will challenge each child to reach his/her fullest potential academically, emotionally, and physically in a prepared Montessori environment.
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in Education or a related field
- Montessori Elementary (6-9 or 6-12) Credential (AMS or AMI)
- Minimum five (5) years experience at the Lower Elementary level
- Committed to the mission and core values of MSR, which include "respect, integrity, community, and love of learning"
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with students, colleagues, parents, and other members of the MSR community
- Flexible team player with a "can-do" attitude
- Ability to work independently and collaborate in teams with a wide range of individuals
- Committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and diverse learning community
- Student-centered, collegial, passionate, innovative
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Adhere to AMS guidelines and professional standards
- Prepare and maintain a Montessori environment in which the furnishings and materials are developmentally appropriate and provide academic purpose
- Deliver established Montessori scope and sequence
- Ensure the safety and well-being of students in the classroom
- Collaborate and participate within a divisional team and with interdisciplinary teachers
- Provide a supportive and collaborative partnership with the assistant teacher by communicating clear expectations of the assistant's role
- Maintain a supportive and collaborative partnership with administration and colleagues to assist with curriculum development and implementation within the context of the School's overall program, mission, and core values
- Partner with Student Support Services to ensure student success and developmental readiness
- Participate in ongoing professional development
- Attend all required faculty and team meetings
- Collaborate and participate within a divisional team
- Maintain a strong home/school partnership by ensuring consistent, respectful, and open lines of communication with parents
- Be available to parents through written communication, setting up conferences, and educating parents in Montessori philosophy
- Maintain student record keeping, lesson planning, parent reports, and parent conferences
- Participate and help lead Parent Education evening events
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The Lower Elementary Lead Teacher can expect to:
- Work in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts
- Work primarily in a climate-controlled classroom environment, with periods of time outdoors
- Supervise groups of students and regularly engage with parents, staff, and visitors
- Occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Turn, bend, and reach
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation. All MSR personnel must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
MSR is accredited by AMS. The school offers competitive salary and benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line, "Lower Elementary Lead Teacher - [your last name]." No phone calls, please.
About the Montessori School of Raleigh
Established in 1974, The Montessori School of Raleigh is a vibrant and exceptional, independent Montessori school serving 360 students aged 15 months through 18 years. MSR’s beautifully designed and well-maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises five buildings in a child-centered, village-like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in Brier Creek in Durham. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered environments integral to Montessori practice.
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently ranked among the top places to live with strong job growth and a high quality of life. Top universities, a rich diversity of arts and cultural offerings, excellent health care, and lower than average housing costs, draw people in from all over the nation. Our mild climate and proximity to both beaches and mountains makes the Raleigh- Durham area an ideal place to live.