International Baccalaureate (IB)-Trained Teachers
As we plan for future staffing needs, The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks International Baccalaureate (IB)-Trained Teachers for its high school program. This is an open call for IB educators looking to join a community that believes in “respect, integrity, community, and love of learning.” Our IB teachers challenge each child to reach his/her fullest potential academically, emotionally, and physically in a prepared environment.
Established in 1974, MSR is a vibrant and exceptional independent Montessori and International Baccalaureate (IB) World School in the Triangle area serving 400+ students aged 6 weeks through 18 years. MSR is committed to the intellectual, ethical, and personal development of our students. Our beautifully designed and well-maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises five buildings in a child-centered, village-like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in Brier Creek in Durham. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered environments integral to Montessori practice. Driven by our core values of “respect, integrity, community, and love of learning,” MSR welcomes prospective employees of all backgrounds. We are committed to attracting and retaining the highest quality faculty and staff through a comprehensive compensation plan, including competitive salary and an expansive benefits package. MSR is accredited by AMS and the IBO. All MSR employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Education or a related field
- IB certification in subject area, or willing to obtain during the first year of employment
- Minimum five years teaching experience
- Committed to the mission and core values of MSR, which include "respect, integrity, community, and love of learning"
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with students, colleagues, parents, and other members of the MSR community
- Flexible team player with a "can-do" attitude
- Ability to work independently and collaborate in teams with a wide range of individuals
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhere to IB guidelines and professional standards
- Create and submit annually a curriculum log to support archival documentation, transparency and accountability for accreditation purposes
- Create and post your syllabus both online and in your classroom
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop/review the written curriculum for taught subjects with a focus on cross-curricular activities and student-led experiences
- Consistently assess student progress through observation, assignments, and formal assessments and regularly provide updates on progress and performance through posted grades, and written or verbal feedback. This should occur in a timely manner in line with the MSR Employee Handbook
- Create and foster a learning environment that produces agile thinkers, poised communicators and gracious collaborators
- Ensure safety and well-being of students in the classroom
- Coordinate and mentor students through the school advisory program, which includes: tracking grades and community service hours for advisees; meeting weekly for group and individual discussions and grade monitoring; and facilitating student-led conferences
- Be available to parents through written communication, setting up conferences, and educating parents in IB philosophy
- Create positive relationships with parents and colleagues by returning emails within 48 hours on work days
- Maintain a supportive and collaborative partnership with administration and colleagues to assist with curriculum development and implementation within the context of the School's overall program and Mission
- Collaborate and participate within a divisional team.
- Partner with Student Support Services to ensure student success and developmental readiness.
- Participate in ongoing Professional Development
- Attend all required faculty and team meetings
- Maintain student record keeping, lesson planning, parent reports, and parent conferences
- Foster an inclusive, equitable, and diverse learning community
- Remain student-centered, collegial, passionate, innovative
- Participate and help lead Parent Education evening events
- Other duties as assigned by Division Director or the Head of School
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
IB-trained teachers can expect to:
- Work in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment, with periods of time outdoors
- Spend periods of time standing and sitting
- Supervise groups of students and regularly engage with parents, staff, and visitors
- Occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Turn, bend, and reach.
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference check with current employer (or most recent employer if not currently employed) and background investigation.
The school offers competitive salary and benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Open Call, IB Teacher- your last name.” No phone calls please.
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently ranked among the top places to live with strong job growth and a high quality of life. Top universities, a rich diversity of arts and cultural offerings, excellent health care, and lower than average housing costs, draw people in from all over the nation. Our mild climate and proximity to both beaches and mountains makes the Raleigh-Durham area an ideal place to live.