Human Resources Generalist
Status: Full time/Non-exempt
Classification: 12-month Administrator
Supervisors: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Location: In-person at the Lead Mine Campus
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The Montessori School of Raleigh seeks a detail-oriented Human Resources Generalist ("HR Generalist") to join its Business Office. The HR Generalist will serve as the payroll and benefits administrator, support the employee onboarding/off-boarding experience, and oversee general Human Resource administrative functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- In partnership with the CFO, prepare and distribute staffing contracts
- Process, record, verify, and transmit all payroll data to the external payroll processing company, ADP
- Oversee quarterly and annual tax reporting such as 941s, 1095-c's, and W2s
- Administer the School's benefits program by enrolling/terminating employees, hosting open enrollment annually, providing oversight of all benefits invoicing, maintaining current employee information with benefits providers, and answering questions for employees as needed
- Coordinate the employee onboarding and off-boarding procedures
- Ensure thorough, timely off-boarding and exiting practices for staff
- Initiate and confirm all employees, coaches, volunteers, and vendors have active background checks on file; initiate new background checks as part of the hiring process or upon required rechecks
- Partner with the Leadership Team to determine annual required training for staff, and communicate and track employee training requirements and completion, including but not limited to training through Safe Schools / Vector Solutions software, blood-borne pathogen training, mandated reporter training, and biannual first aid and CPR certifications
- Ensure proper employee workers compensation allocation and serve as point of contact for annual workers compensation audit
- Organize annual New Employee Orientation
- In partnership with the CFO, administer the 403(b) plan; oversee required yearly compliance reporting; ensure compliance with 403(b) eligibility requirements; process enrollments and contributions
- Update compliance notices across campuses
- Establish and maintain personnel files
- Record employee paid time off in ADP; reconcile PTO balances annually and as needed
- Participate in monthly financial closing procedures and annual audit processes (financial and 403b plan)
- Track employee use of available professional development funds
- Partner and collaborate with Controller and Database Administrator on projects as needed
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School or CFO
Please note that the duties listed above are intended only as illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this position.
- Is committed to the mission and core values of MSR, which include "respect, integrity, community, and love of learning"
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with colleagues, employees, and other members of the MSR community and engages with community members in a courteous and respectful manner
- Has at least five years of relevant human resources experience; SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR, or SPHR strongly preferred
- Holds a Bachelor's degree
- Experience administering payroll and benefits programs
- Preferred experience working with ADP
- Has a working knowledge of federal and state statutes for Affordable Care Act (ACA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, workers compensation, discrimination, and sexual harassment
- Is proficient with Mac OS and Google applications
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Has impeccable attention to detail
- Has excellent organizational skills and an ability to work on multiple projects successfully
- Possesses solid analytical, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills with the ability to manage conflict
- Possesses outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills, with a professional and empathetic approach
- Strives for continuous improvement and solicits feedback to improve service
- Maintains confidentiality and adheres to a high standard of ethical, equitable, and objective values
- Fosters teamwork, coaches, gives feedback, involves, and inspires others
- Sees opportunity in change
- Owns results
- Projects a winning attitude, a can-do approach to problems, and persistence in the face of adversity
- Possesses a healthy sense of humor
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The HR Generalist can expect to:
- Work in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled office environment spending extended periods of time at a desk and working on a computer
- Regularly sit, talk, hear, and interact with staff
- Occasionally life up to 30 lbs.
- Regularly use close and distance vision
- Turn, bend, reach
The school offers competitive salary and benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "HR Generalist - your last name." No phone calls please.
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference check from current employer (or most recent employer if not currently employed) and background investigation. All MSR personnel must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
About The Montessori School of Raleigh
Established in 1974, The Montessori School of Raleigh is a vibrant and exceptional independent Montessori school serving 370 students aged 15 months through 18 years. MSR’s beautifully designed and well-maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises five buildings in a child-centered, village-like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in Brier Creek in Durham. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered environments integral to Montessori practice.
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently ranked among the top places to live with strong job growth and a high quality of life. Top universities, a rich diversity of arts and cultural offerings, excellent health care, and lower than average housing costs, draw people in from all over the nation. Our mild climate and proximity to both beaches and mountains makes the Raleigh- Durham area an ideal place to live.