Status: Full-time, hourly / non-exempt (40 hours per week)
Classification: 12-month Administrator
Location: One Facilities Assistant will be based at our Lead Mine Campus (LMC) and one will be based at our Brier Creek Campus (BCC). Both will travel between campuses as needed. These are in-person positions and not eligible to work from home.
Supervisor: Director of Facilities
Work Schedule: Shifts vary based on school needs (facility rentals, evening/weekend events, emergency situations, etc.).
- Primary shifts for the LMC location are T-F: 10:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.; Sat: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- Primary shift for the BCC location is M-F, 7 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks a Facilities Assistant to join the Facilities team. Through a variety of maintenance and operational tasks, this position helps ensure a safe, clean, and well-kept learning environment. If you enjoy solving problems and have a good understanding of building trades and maintenance, we’d love to hear from you.
Established in 1974, MSR is a vibrant and exceptional independent Montessori and International Baccalaureate (IB) World School school in the Triangle area serving 400+ students aged 6 weeks through 18 years. MSR is committed to the intellectual, ethical, and personal development of our students. Our beautifully designed and well-maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises five buildings in a child-centered, village-like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in Brier Creek in Durham. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered environments integral to Montessori practice. Driven by our core values of “Respect,” “Integrity,” “Community” and “Love of Learning,” MSR welcomes prospective employees of all backgrounds. We are committed to attracting and retaining the highest quality faculty and staff through a comprehensive compensation plan, including competitive pay and an expansive benefits package. MSR is accredited by AMS and the IBO.
- Is committed to the mission and core values of MSR which include “Respect, Integrity, Community and Love of Learning”
- Respects, supports and prioritizes practices that ensure a safe campus environment for all members of the MSR community
- Working knowledge in building trades and facility systems including fire and life safety, HVAC, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc.
- Ability to safely operate hand/power tools and equipment
- Is detail-oriented, works efficiently and can manage multiple tasks at the same time
- Basic proficiency in MacOS and Google applications. Familiarity with CMMS a plus.
- Skilled problem solver, highly organized, resourceful, and proactive
Essential duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the Facilities team to complete all work tickets, maintenance/repair, installation, and janitorial requests in a timely manner. Communicates with appropriate faculty/staff on work status and closes tickets upon completion.
- Supports the execution of preventative maintenance and plant renewal/replacement
- Proactively ensures facilities and grounds are maintained in a manner which provides a clean and safe environment. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Cleaning and janitorial duties
- General carpentry and replacing/repairing building finishes such as ceiling tile, drywall/paint, carpet tiles, LVT, etc.
- Repair/replacement of door and window hardware/locks
- Furniture repair, assembly, and installation
- Plumbing - minor leaks, clogged toilets/drains, touchless sensors, faucet aerators, etc.
- Electrical - resetting breakers, replacing outlets, switches, bulbs, ballasts, fuses, etc.
- HVAC – troubleshooting, thermostat scheduling/adjustment, changing filters, etc.
- Fire and life safety systems – troubleshooting, operating fire alarm systems, etc.
- Assists the Facilities team with improvement projects, equipment testing, supply inventory and other support projects/duties as assigned by the Director of Facilities
- Event support including furniture setup/teardown and janitorial/maintenance requests
- Monitors two-way radio at all times and responds to all transmissions applicable to areas of responsibility including supplies, repairs/maintenance, emergencies, clean-ups, deliveries, etc.
- Receives deliveries and distributes packages
- Accompanies and provides access for vendors and service personnel
- Serves as school representative on-site for after-hour school functions as needed
- Serves as backup bus driver for daily routes, field trips, and events. Ability to obtain CDL.
- Security support including staffing the security desk/doors as needed, monitoring cameras/building perimeter, and greeting and signing in guests
- Maintains professionalism and customer service orientation in all interactions with faculty/staff, parents, vendors, etc.
- Must be able to work flexible hours based on school needs
- Willingness-to-help attitude and an eye for detail and organization
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School, Chief Operations Officer or Director of Facilities
Interpersonal and Professional Qualities
- Possesses outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills, with a professional and empathetic approach
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with students, colleagues, parents and other members of the MSR community
- Strives for continuous improvement and solicits feedback to improve service
- Demonstrates flexibility with a “can-do” attitude
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with diverse teams
- Maintains confidentiality
- Takes initiative, follows through, and owns results
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The Facilities Assistant can expect to:
- Work in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, a varied and diverse clientele, and with a high expectation of accountability
- Work in both a traditional climate-controlled office environment and outdoors with potential exposure to inclement weather and unpredictable crisis situations
- Climb stairs periodically
- Occasionally lift up to 50 lbs, with heavier weight necessary at times
- Stand for prolonged periods of time
- Regularly use close and distance vision
- Turn, bend, and reach
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference check with current employer (or most recent employer if not currently employed) and background investigation.
The pay for this position is $22 per hour, alongside MSR’s comprehensive full-time benefits package. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line of “Facilities Assistant - your last name.” No phone calls please.
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently ranked among the top places to live with strong job growth and a high quality of life. Top universities, a rich diversity of arts and cultural offerings, excellent health care, and lower than average housing costs, draw people in from all over the nation. Our mild climate and proximity to both beaches and mountains makes the Raleigh-Durham area an ideal place to live.