Director of Strategic Marketing and Communications
Status: Full-time (Exempt)
Classification: 12-month Administrator
Location: In-person; Lead Mine Campus
Supervisor: Head of School
Supervises: Marketing and Communications Manager
Work Schedule: Mondays - Fridays, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks a Director of Strategic Marketing & Communications to join its team. Reporting to and working closely with the Head of School (HOS), the Director of Strategic Marketing and Communications will serve as a member of the School’s Leadership Team, and will have direct oversight and responsibility for MSR’s marketing, internal and external communications, public relations, publications, and social media.
As MSR begins the implementation phase of a new strategic plan and prepares to embark on a 50th anniversary campaign, the ideal Director of Strategic Marketing & Communications candidate will have a proven track record of successful implementation of institutional marketing and communications strategies in support of branding, enrollment, and fundraising.
Established in 1974, MSR is a vibrant and exceptional independent Montessori and International Baccalaureate (IB) World School school in the Triangle area serving 400+ students aged 6 weeks through 18 years. MSR is committed to the intellectual, ethical, and personal development of our students. Our beautifully designed and well-maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises five buildings in a child-centered, village-like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in Brier Creek in Durham. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered environments integral to Montessori practice. Driven by our core values of “Respect,” “Integrity,” “Community” and “Love of Learning,” MSR welcomes prospective employees of all backgrounds. We are committed to attracting and retaining the highest quality faculty and staff through a comprehensive compensation plan, including competitive salary and an expansive benefits package. MSR is accredited by AMS, IBO, and Cognia. All MSR employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs and executes the School’s comprehensive annual marketing and communications plan in collaboration with the Head of School, Leadership Team, Board of Trustees, Marketing and Communications department, and Advancement Team
- Leads the Marketing and Communications team including the Marketing and Communications Manager
- Works closely with the Leadership Team to advance and implement institutional objectives identified in the School’s strategic plan
- Active member of the Advancement Team composed of Admissions and Enrollment Management staff, Parent Liaison, Development staff, Auxiliary Programs staff, and Marketing and Communications Manager to partner and collaborate in support of enrollment, retention, fundraising, auxiliary programs, and parent education
- Stewards the MSR brand across marketing and communications channels including website, social media, video, print material, etc.
- Establishes and monitors visual identity, marketing messaging, institutional style and tone.
- Develops and implements targeted, multimedia advertising strategy to promote and elevate MSR and its program
- Develops and manages schoolwide communications calendar in support of strategic objectives for internal and external communications
- Develops website strategies, manages maintenance and development of website content
- Oversees the development and execution of the Parent Education Program; collaborates with Parent Liaison to align topics with parent needs, faculty and staff recommendations, retention goals, etc.
- Develops, writes, and produces School publications including the Spice Box newsletter and partners with other departments to produce the Strategic Plan collateral, MSR Annual Report, School Profile, etc.
- Creates and distributes monthly parent e-newsletters and other School e-communications
- Oversees management of social media strategies, social media advertising, posts and stories
- Strengthens internal partnerships to ensure institutional brand consistency schoolwide in the design of marketing and fundraising collateral, written and video content, photography, graphic design, event promotion, school promotional items, etc.;
- Commissions writers, photographers, designers, printers, and mailing houses to assist in creation and distribution of marketing collateral
- Manages marketing budget
- Manages all communication related to threats and warnings and, at the direction of the Head of School, serves as point person for news and media outlets
- Develops media relationships, identifies publicity opportunities, and submits media releases as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School
Please note that the duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this position.
The Director of Strategic Marketing and Communications has:
- 8+ years in progressively responsible leadership role and 3+ years supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, or similar professional experience
- Is committed to the MSR mission and values
- Has a deep understanding of marketing principles, fundraising, enrollment, message delivery, promotion, and, brand development
- Values data and is skilled in gathering, analyzing, and sharing data
- Understands and appreciates children 6 weeks to 18 years of age
- Understands, appreciates, and is sensitive to a diverse constituent base
- Is strategic and can design effective plans and approaches
- Has excellent executive functioning skills, takes initiative, and follows through in order to achieve goals
- Demonstrates excellent writing and communication skills
- Demonstrates superior organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience working in an independent school or other educational environment preferred but not required
Interpersonal and Professional Qualities
The Director of Strategic Marketing and Communications also:
- Demonstrates principled leadership and sound marketing and communications ethics
- Works effectively and objectively with the Leadership Team
- Develops strong working relationships with employees at all levels of the institution
- Fosters teamwork, coaches, gives feedback, involves and inspires others
- Sees opportunity in change
- Owns results
- Projects a winning attitude, a can-do approach to problems, and persistence in the face of adversity
- Possesses a healthy sense of humor
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The Director of Strategic Marketing and Communications can expect to:
- Work in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled office environment spending extended periods of time at a desk and working on a computer
- Regularly sit, talk, hear, and interact with staff
- Occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Regularly use close and distance vision
- Turn, bend, and reach
- Occasional night and weekend hours will be required
The school offers competitive salary and benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Director of Strategic Marketing & Communications - your last name.” No phone calls please.
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference check from current employer (or most recent employer if not currently employed) and background investigation.
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently ranked among the top places to live with strong job growth and a high quality of life. Top universities, a rich diversity of arts and cultural offerings, excellent health care, and lower than average housing costs, draw people in from all over the nation. Our mild climate and proximity to both beaches and mountains makes the Raleigh-Durham area an ideal place to live.