Director of Facilities
Status: Full-time (Exempt)
Classification: 12-month Administrator
Location: In-person at the Lead Mine Campus. Travel to Brier Creek Campus as needed. Not eligible for work from home.
Supervisor: Chief Operations Officer (COO)
Supervisees: LMC and BCC Facilities Managers, Facilities Assistant
Work Schedule: Primary shift is Monday-Friday 6:30 a.m. - 3 p.m. Evenings/weekends as needed. On call 24/7 for alarm monitoring and emergencies.
Start Date: Immediate
The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks a Director of Facilities to join the Facilities team. The Director of Facilities will have oversight and responsibility for maintaining MSR’s two campuses—one in Raleigh and one in Durham—while providing leadership and support to the Facilities team and outside contractors. The successful candidate should have a thorough knowledge of facility operations and excellent organizational, interpersonal and teamwork skills.
Established in 1974, MSR is a vibrant and exceptional independent Montessori and International Baccalaureate (IB) World School school in the Triangle area serving 400+ students aged 6 weeks through 18 years. MSR is committed to the intellectual, ethical, and personal development of our students. Our beautifully designed and well-maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises five buildings in a child-centered, village-like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in Brier Creek in Durham. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered environments integral to Montessori practice. Driven by our core values of “Respect,” “Integrity,” “Community” and “Love of Learning,” MSR welcomes prospective employees of all backgrounds. We are committed to attracting and retaining the highest quality faculty and staff through a comprehensive compensation plan, including competitive salary and an expansive benefits package. MSR is accredited by AMS and the IBO. All MSR employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides facilities expertise and knowledge to support the COO and the school at large.
- Maintains the campus buildings and grounds in a manner that facilitates the delivery of the core business of the school, retains current families, and attracts prospective families.
- Provides leadership and support to the Facilities team and outside contractors, ensuring all direct reports and contractors are knowledgeable about applicable regulations and school policies/procedures, and possess the tools, equipment and resources to effectively perform their responsibilities.
- Manages all aspects of facilities repair and maintenance including but not limited to HVAC, elevator, electrical, plumbing, janitorial, landscaping/grounds, pest control, fire protection, access control, and security systems.
- Coordinates, prioritizes, and performs work so that facilities service requests and regular maintenance are completed effectively and efficiently with minimal interruption to campus activity.
- Oversees Facilities ticketing system, ensuring community needs are addressed in a timely fashion, effectively tracking and communicating status of work orders, and analyzing ticket data to identify and correct recurring issues.
- Maintains professional relationships with vendors and contractors to ensure timely service and support.
- Negotiates and manages contracts with vendors for ongoing services and improvement projects. Oversees and inspects contracted work to ensure adherence to quality and scope expectations.
- Develops, maintains, and executes a comprehensive preventative maintenance and plant renewal and replacement program.
- Maintains records of all maintenance and construction activity such as major renovations, regular preventative maintenance, monthly and annual inspection logs, and required safety inspections.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local codes and standards applicable to areas of responsibility.
- Advises and responds to alarm calls and emergencies on a 24-hour basis.
- Maintains a proper inventory of tools, supplies, materials, and other equipment for the Facilities department.
- In coordination with the Business Office and the COO, creates and manages the Facilities budget, approves invoices and processes check requests, reconciles credit card purchases, and continuously monitors financial activity of the Facilities department to ensure it is operating in a fiscally responsible manner.
- In collaboration with COO, coordinates bus transportation for daily routes and field trips and develops and monitors transportation protocols, including training new drivers and safety checklists.
- Schedules all regular bus maintenance to ensure safe and efficient transportation operations. Maintains detailed records of bus servicing and inspections.
- Serves as a backup bus driver for daily routes, field trips, and events.
- Maintains professionalism and customer service orientation in all interactions with faculty/staff, parents, vendors, city authorities, etc.
- Willingness-to-help attitude with an eye for detail and organization.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School or Chief Operations Officer.
- Is committed to the mission and core values of MSR which include “Respect, Integrity, Community and Love of Learning”
- Respects, supports and prioritizes practices that ensure a safe campus environment for all members of the MSR community
- Comprehensive and thorough knowledge of general facility operations and appropriate maintenance requirements
- Proficiency in MacOS and Google applications
- Has, or is willing to obtain, an active Class B Commercial Drivers License, with passenger and safety endorsements, and maintains a clean motor vehicle record
- Has excellent organizational skills, is detail-oriented, and can successfully manage multiple projects in a pressure-deadline work environment
- Possesses strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills with the ability to manage conflict
- Has excellent executive functioning skills, takes initiative, and follows through in order to achieve goals
- Understands, appreciates, and is sensitive to a diverse clientele
Interpersonal and Professional Qualities
- Possesses outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills, with a professional and empathetic approach
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with students, colleagues, parents, vendors, city officials, and other members of the MSR community
- Strives for continuous improvement and solicits feedback to improve service
- Fosters teamwork and inspires others
- Sees opportunity in change
- Maintains confidentiality
- Takes initiative, follows through, and owns results
- Projects a winning attitude, a can-do approach to problems, and persistence in the face of adversity
- Possesses a healthy sense of humor
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Work in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, a varied and diverse clientele, and with a high expectation of accountability
- Work in both a traditional climate-controlled office environment and outdoors with potential exposure to inclement weather and unpredictable crisis situations
- Climb stairs periodically
- Occasionally lift up to 50 lbs, with heavier weight necessary at times
- Stand for prolonged periods of time
- Regularly use close and distance vision
- Turn, bend, and reach
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference check with current employer (or most recent employer if not currently employed) and background investigation.
MSR offers competitive salary and benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Director of Facilities - your last name.” No phone calls please.
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently ranked among the top places to live with strong job growth and a high quality of life. Top universities, a rich diversity of arts and cultural offerings, excellent health care, and lower than average housing costs, draw people in from all over the nation. Our mild climate and proximity to both beaches and mountains makes the Raleigh-Durham area an ideal place to live.