Classification: 12-month Administrator
Location: In-person at the Lead Mine Campus
Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer
Work Schedule: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. with scheduled after-school rotation until 5 p.m. once every three months
Start Date: Immediate
The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks a Controller to join the school’s business office. The Controller will oversee MSR’s general ledger, managing day-to-day accounting functions for the school including entry and reconciliation of income and expenses. The Controller will also play a key role in monitoring and evaluating financial processes, and should have the ability to assess procedures, make recommendations for improvements, and communicate policies and procedures to the staff. The ideal candidate will have a thorough knowledge of GAAP, specifically in a non-profit and/or independent school setting, and will serve as a strong second financial leader at MSR and in its Business Office (which oversees finance/accounting functions, student billing, tuition assistance, human resources, database administration, and auxiliary programs).
Established in 1974, MSR is a vibrant and exceptional independent Montessori and International Baccalaureate (IB) World School school in the Triangle area serving 400+ students aged 6 weeks through 18 years. MSR is committed to the intellectual, ethical, and personal development of our students. Our beautifully designed and well-maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises five buildings in a child-centered, village-like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in Brier Creek in Durham. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered environments integral to Montessori practice. Driven by our core values of “Respect,” “Integrity,” “Community” and “Love of Learning,” MSR welcomes prospective employees of all backgrounds. We are committed to attracting and retaining the highest quality faculty and staff through a comprehensive compensation plan, including competitive salary and an expansive benefits package. MSR is accredited by AMS, Cognia, and the IBO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as primary administrator of Quickbooks and Veracross Accounting module
- Lead and oversee monthly reconciliation and closing process in Quickbooks ensuring monthly data is reportable in a timely fashion
- In coordination with the CFO, work closely with the administrative staff to prepare, monitor and update department budgets. Issue monthly expense reports and perform monthly reconciliations with budget holders
- Coordinate and lead monthly income reconciliation processes with Enrollment Management and Development departments
- Monitor and evaluate MSR’s financial processes, including procedures and policies related to deposits, bill pay, credit card expenditures, and student billing, identifying improvements to ensure appropriate compliance with GAAP, sufficient internal controls, and process efficiency. Make recommendations for process improvements.
- Communicate policies and procedures and/or implement any necessary process improvements
- Serve as primary student billing coordinator: communicating payment terms and schedules with families and overseeing payment processing in Veracross
- Partner with the Auxiliary Programs team to ensure payment of program fees; processes registrations changes or cancellations resulting in refunds or balances owed
- Monitor student balances regularly and communicate with families regarding balances due; assess late fees as needed
- Manage MSR’s merchant account agreements, fees, and merchant relationships
- Manage MSR’s “School Store”
- In partnership with the Enrollment Management team and CFO, review applications and issue tuition assistance awards to new and returning families, ensuring awards are granted equitably, the evaluation process is objective, and in line with best practice
- Oversee MSR’s Document Retention policy and procedures
- Work alongside the CFO to support the annual audit process and preparation of the 990
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School or CFO
- Is committed to MSR’s mission, core values, and long-term operational success
- Has experience working in non-profit finance and accounting, specifically within a fast-growing organization with competing financial priorities. Independent school experience is a plus.
- Proficiency with Quickbooks
- Proficiency with Mac OS X, Microsoft Excel, Google Suite, and Zoom Meetings
- Knowledge of (or willingness to learn) Veracross
- Knowledge of financial and accounting best practices with at least 10 years of professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA, CPA, or other relevant certifications or graduate degree(s) desirable
- Excellent editing and writing skills
Interpersonal and Professional Qualities
- Has excellent organizational skills, the ability to work on multiple projects successfully, and impeccable attention to detail.
- Possesses outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills, with a professional and empathetic approach
- Takes initiative, follows through, and owns results in order to achieve goals.
- Develops relationships and maintains excellent communication with, and provides excellent service to, all families, colleagues, and stakeholders.
- Understands, appreciates, and is sensitive to a diverse clientele. Interacts with all members of the MSR community in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Strives for continuous improvement and solicits feedback to improve service
- Fosters teamwork and inspires others
- Sees opportunity in change. Projects a winning attitude, a can-do approach to problems.
- Possesses a healthy sense of humor
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
The Controller can expect to:
- Work in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines
- Work in a traditional climate-controlled office environment spending extended periods of time at a desk and working on a computer
- Regularly sit, talk, hear, and interact with staff
- Occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Regularly use close and distance vision
- Turn, bend, and reach
- Occasional night and weekend hours will be required, specifically during audit preparation and fieldwork and annual enrollment period
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference check with current employer (or most recent employer if not currently employed) and background investigation.
MSR offers competitive salary and benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Controller - your last name.” No phone calls, please.
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently ranked among the top places to live with strong job growth and a high quality of life. Top universities, a rich diversity of arts and cultural offerings, excellent health care, and lower than average housing costs, draw people in from all over the nation. Our mild climate and proximity to both beaches and mountains makes the RaleighDurham area an ideal place to live.