MSR seeks a Controller, who will serve as a trusted thought partner playing a hands-on role in setting internal operations and ensuring the integrity and accuracy of MSR’s financial transactions.
Status: Full time/Exempt
Supervisor: Chief Financial Officer
Member: Business Office Team
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- In coordination with the CFO, work closely with the Senior Leadership Team and staff to prepare and monitor annual budgets and update forecasts on a recurring basis.
- Monitor and evaluate MSR’s financial processes, including procedures and policies related to deposits, bill pay, credit card expenditures, and student billing, identifying improvements to ensure appropriate compliance with GAAP, sufficient internal controls, and process efficiency.
- Work with process and budget stakeholders to communicate policies and procedures and/or implement any necessary process improvements.
- Serve as primary administrator of Quickbooks.
- Manage MSR’s merchant account agreements, fees, and merchant relationships.
- Coordinate and lead monthly income reconciliation processes with Admissions and Development departments.
- Coordinate and lead monthly expense reconciliation processes with budget stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate program and account allocations.
- Oversee day-to-day human resource administration - including payroll processing, benefits administration, 403(b) plan reporting and compliance, faculty and administration contracting procedures - monitoring and ensuring compliance with state and federal labor laws.
- Oversee MSR’s Document Retention policy and procedures.
- Work alongside the CFO to support the accounting firm’s preparation of the 990 and annual audit.
- Additional duties as assigned by the Head of School.
- Is committed to MSR’s mission, values, and long-term operational success.
- Non-profit financial experience is a requirement, with a strong preference for someone who has operated in a fast-growing environment that has limited budgets and resources.
- Has excellent organizational skills, the ability to work on multiple projects successfully, and impeccable attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Quickbooks.
- Proficiency with Mac OS X.
- Knowledge of financial and accounting best practices, including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)with at least 5-to-7 years of professional experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA, CPA, or other relevant certifications or graduate degree(s) desirable.
- Maintains excellent communication with and provides excellent service to all families, colleagues, and stakeholders.
- Interacts with all members of the MSR community in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Serves as a strong advocate for the school’s diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts by: modeling cultural competence; creating strategies to increase diversity among faculty, staff, and families; and supporting new and existing education programs.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Possesses solid analytical, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills with the ability to manage conflict.
- Possesses outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills, with a professional and empathetic approach.
- Strives for continuous improvement and solicits feedback to improve service.
- Has excellent executive functioning skills, takes initiative, and follows through in order to achieve goals.
- Understands, appreciates, and is sensitive to a diverse clientele.
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.