Children's House Lead Guide
Status: Full-time (Exempt)
Classification: 10-month Faculty
Supervisor: Lower School Director
Location: In-person instruction at the Lead Mine Campus in Raleigh
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks a Children’s House Lead Guide for the 2023-2024 school year beginning August 1, 2023. Under the general direction of the Lower School Director, the ideal candidate will lead a Children’s House classroom and partner with an assistant to oversee a class of students three to six years of age. The Children’s House Lead Guide will challenge each child to reach his/her fullest potential academically, emotionally, and physically in a prepared Montessori environment.
Established in 1974, MSR is a vibrant and exceptional independent Montessori and International Baccalaureate (IB) World School school in the Triangle area serving 400+ students aged six weeks through 18 years. MSR is committed to the intellectual, ethical, and personal development of our students. Our beautifully designed and well-maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises five buildings in a child-centered, village-like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in Brier Creek in Durham. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered environments integral to Montessori practice. Driven by our core values of “Respect,” “Integrity,” “Community” and “Love of Learning,” MSR welcomes prospective employees of all backgrounds. We are committed to attracting and retaining the highest quality faculty and staff through a comprehensive compensation plan, including competitive salary and an expansive benefits package. MSR is accredited by AMS and the IBO. All MSR employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Education or a related field
- Montessori Children’s House/Primary Credentials (AMS, AMI or MACTE)
- Minimum five years teaching experience at the Children’s House level
- Committed to the mission and core values of MSR which include “Respect, Integrity, Community and Love of Learning”.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with students, colleagues, parents and other members of the MSR community.
- Flexible team player with “can-do” attitude.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate in teams with a wide range of individuals.
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and diverse learning community.
- Student-centered, collegial, passionate, innovative.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Adhere to AMS guidelines and professional standards
- Prepare and maintain a prepared Montessori environment in which the furnishings and materials are developmentally appropriate and provide academic purpose
- Deliver established Montessori scope and sequence
- Ensure safety and well-being of students in the classroom
- Maintain a supportive and collaborative partnership with administration and colleagues to assist with curriculum development and implementation within the context of the School's overall program and Mission
- Provide a supportive and collaborative partnership with the Assistant by communicating clear expectations of the Assistant’s role
- Partner with Student Support Team to ensure student success and developmental readiness
- Participate in ongoing Professional Development
- Attend all required faculty and team meetings
- Collaborate and participate within a divisional team and interdisciplinary guides
- Maintain and participate in a home/school partnership by being open to constant and consistent communication
- Maintain student record keeping, lesson planning, parent reports, and parent conferences
- Participate and help lead Parent Education evening events
- Ensure respectful and open lines of communication with parents. Be available to parents through written communication, setting up conferences, and educating parents in Montessori philosophy
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School or Lower School Director
Please note that the duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this position.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
The Children’s House Lead Guide can expect to:
- Work in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment, with periods of time outdoors.
- Supervise groups of students and regularly engage with parents, staff, and visitors.
- Occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Turn, bend, and reach.
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference check with current employer (or most recent employer, if not currently employed) and background investigation.
MSR is accredited by AMS, Cognia, and IBO. The school offers competitive salary and benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line of “Children’s House Lead Guide 23/24 - your last name.” No phone calls please.
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently ranked among the top places to live with strong job growth and a high quality of life. Top universities, a rich diversity of arts and cultural offerings, excellent health care, and lower than average housing costs, draw people in from all over the nation. Our mild climate and proximity to both beaches and mountains makes the Raleigh- Durham area an ideal place to live.