Associate Lower School Director
Status: Full-Time; Exempt
Classification: 12-month administrator
Supervisor: Lower School Director
Location: In-person at the Lead Mine Campus in Raleigh
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
The Montessori School of Raleigh (MSR) seeks a full-time Associate Lower School Director for the 2023-2024 school year. Reporting directly to the Lower School Director, and working closely with the Lower School Administrative Support Manager and Registrar, the ideal candidate must enjoy working with young children and be able to flourish in a fast-paced environment while supporting the needs of the Lower School students, faculty, administrators, and parents.
Established in 1974, MSR is a vibrant and exceptional independent Montessori and International Baccalaureate (IB) World School school in the Triangle area serving 400+ students aged 6 weeks through 18 years. MSR is committed to the intellectual, ethical, and personal development of our students. Our beautifully designed and well-maintained Lead Mine Campus, situated on 10 acres in North Raleigh, comprises five buildings in a child-centered, village-like setting surrounded by wetlands and protected forest. Our Middle and Upper Schools are housed on an expansive 40-acre wooded campus in Brier Creek in Durham. Both sites were carefully planned and constructed to provide the nature-centered environments integral to Montessori practice. Driven by our core values of “Respect,” “Integrity,” “Community” and “Love of Learning,” MSR welcomes prospective employees of all backgrounds. We are committed to attracting and retaining the highest quality faculty and staff through a comprehensive compensation plan, including competitive salary and an expansive benefits package. MSR is accredited by AMS and the IBO. All MSR employees must be vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Education or a related field.
- Montessori Early Childhood and/or Elementary Credentials (AMS or AMI).
- Minimum five years teaching experience .
- Outstanding written and spoken communication skills;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with student and personnel matters;
- Adhere to school guidelines and professional standards;
- Foster an environment of safety and well-being;
- Is competent in database systems, and has a willingness to learn Veracross;
- Is proficient with Mac OS and Google applications;
- Participate in ongoing professional development;
- Attend all divisional meetings and required all-school meetings;
- Participate in before-care, after-care, lunch, recess, and/or carline coverage when needed;
- Collaborate and participate within a divisional team;
- Committed to the mission and core values of MSR, which include "respect, integrity, community, and love of learning;"
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with students, colleagues, parents, and other members of the MSR community;
- Flexible team player with a "can-do" attitude
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with students, colleagues, parents and other members of the MSR community.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate in teams with a wide range of individuals.
- Commitment to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and diverse learning community.
- Student-centered, collegial, passionate, innovative.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- In partnership with Lower School Director, collaborates on the ongoing process of curriculum envisioning, development, and assessment as developmentally appropriate
- In collaboration with Lower School Director and School Psychologist, works with the Student Support Team to ensure successful implementation of student support services and effective communication between school and families.
- Oversees the administration of assessments (ERB and iReady) and standardized testing for early childhood and elementary programs
- In partnership with Chief Operations Officer (COO), oversees all aspects of curricular and overnight trips with student and faculty safety being the priority
- Oversees compliance with American Montessori Society (AMS) standards and helps support Director in the Re-Accreditation process
- In collaboration with Lower School Director, oversees all aspects of the design and implementation of the daily schedule and interdisciplinary programs
- Provides guidance to Interdisciplinary team ensuring the delivery of developmentally appropriate curriculum in line with the Montessori philosophy
- Supports the process for reviewing and distributing grades and comments for Progress Reports
- Provides guidance for developing mission-aligned and effective approaches to behavior modification
- Review of Internal Veracross Behavior Notifications and exporting to families
- In partnership with Lower School Administrative Support Manager, offers guidance and support with Daily Staffing and Substitute needs
- Partners with Lower School Director for student, faculty, and parent observations
- Attends parent-teacher conferences as needed
- Attends division meetings and collaborates on meeting agendas
- In collaboration with recruiting manager, oversees substitute interviews, orientations, and onboarding
- Partners with Enrollment Management in assessment of applicant students
- Leads assistant teacher level meetings and collaborates on meeting agendas and training opportunities
- Serve as a member of the Lower School Admin Team
- Other duties as assigned by the Lower School Director or Head of School
It is the policy of The Montessori School of Raleigh to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bonafide occupational qualification. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference check with current employer (or most recent employer, if not currently employed) and background investigation.
MSR offers competitive salary and benefits. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line of “Associate Lower School Director. - your last name.” No phone calls please.
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently ranked among the top places to live with strong job growth and a high quality of life. Top universities, a rich diversity of arts and cultural offerings, excellent health care, and lower than average housing costs, draw people in from all over the nation. Our mild climate and proximity to both beaches and mountains makes the RaleighDurham area an ideal place to live.